Da Vinci® Surgical System
Benefits of the da Vinci Surgical System
According to its manufacturer, Intuitive Surgical, the da Vinci surgical system, in addition to the benefits discussed below, offers patients a shorter hospital stay and reduces their need for pain medications. It allows for quicker recovery.
The da Vinci system utilizes tiny incisions rather than one large one open incision, which means less scarring, less pain, less blood loss, a more rapid recovery, and a smaller incidence of post-surgical complications.
Greater Surgical Control
Unlike what many patients believe, although the robotic arms of the system’s console carry surgical instruments and a camera to the targeted area, the procedure is actually under the complete control of the surgeon. Using technology, the robotic arms precisely mimic the movements of the surgeon’s wrists and hands, providing superb dexterity and extreme control. This allows the surgeon to make very fine movements.
More Accurate Imaging
The surgeon is able to view the targeted area through the an imaging system that provides a magnified, three-dimensional view of the entire operative field. This allows the surgeon to have a better, more detailed view than that from traditional open surgery.
Variety of Surgical Uses
The da Vinci system can be used in many types of surgical procedures, including many different body systems. In urology, the robot system can be used for varicoceles, fertility, prostate and kidney surgeries among others. In these and other procedures, the control and accuracy the system provides may result in better outcomes than those from conventional surgeries.
Risks of the da Vinci Surgical System
According to Intuitive Surgical, the possible risks of MIS in general include the following:
● Longer time for operation
● Need to switch to a different surgical technique (like open technique)
● Incision-site hernias
● Temporary pneumoperitoneum (air or gas in abdomen)
● If a surgery needs to be converted from MIS to an alternatives surgery, the time spent under anesthesia, length of surgery increases which can increase the recovery and risk of complications.
● Although the da Vinci surgical system offers significant advantages over traditional surgery, it is not the appropriate choice in every type of surgery or with every patient.